Sunday, August 16, 2026

100,200,300

 


 

From 15th August early morning onwards, my mobile started beeping continuously. I thought it was an emergency and checked. They were the "FORWARDED Independence Day" messages. I went back to sleep.

Later in the day, out of curiosity, I started counting them. 100, 200... then I stopped.

What can be the objective of sending such messages?

For few it is just a habit. Some, subtly and cleverly, use it as an advertisement. For many it is an opportunity to wear the badge of patriotism on their chest. Interestingly, there is a large group for whom all these occasions are a reason to take that nostalgic trip down the memory lane.

Reasons can be many and they all will be valid. But, is it that harmless? Whether we like it or not, every message sent on a WhatsApp group intrude the private space of another person. Imagine hundreds of greetings cards getting delivered at your door steps on each festival!!

We can argue this is done on virtual space. Even a child knows that every message consumes space and data. Many a times it is dumped into my private space, without my consent. It fills my precious and costly space with information which I don't require.

I am not getting into socio political relevance of forwarding such messages. My intention is to raise a simple question- what are we gaining by forwarding such messages, which invariably intrude into many private spaces?

Will, not forwarding such messages make me less patriotic?

By evening the enthusiasm wane. The stream of messages reduces. You heave a sigh of relief and get down to the laborious task of deleting all those unwanted messages.

I wonder, when I delete the messages, where do they go? Are they getting stored somewhere to be forwarded next year? Am I moving it temporarily to another space just to receive it back?

I don't mind a hand typed wish. I will even appreciate a wish which is either creative or which comes from one's heart. My request is to halt for a moment and ask yourself whether such a message will add any value.

I wanted to write this note yesterday, but was busy deleting all those messages, since I got warning from WhatsApp about my storage space.

Yes, I have deleted all those messages and it has not reduced my love for my country a bit

No comments:

Post a Comment